A Short History of the Tribe of Mic-O-Say

By Richard Boehner, Chieftain Sees The Sun

The current home of the original Tribe of Mic-O-Say is the 250 acres of Camp Geiger, two miles northwest of St. Joseph, Missouri. Mic-O-Say has thrived and provided leadership in that location since the camp’s founding in 1935.

But Mic-O-Say and Camp Geiger share a heritage which began in a different century. Dr. Charles Geiger, who would donate the land that became our beloved Reservation, was born during the national mourning period for Abraham Lincoln, buried a short distance away from Geiger’s birthplace in Champagne County Illinois. By 1882, the Geigers were living on farm property near St. Joseph, Missouri, and the sixteen-year-old Charles were exploring the land which he would one day give to us at Camp Geiger.

Click on a section below to view its content.

H. Roe Bartle & Finley F. Fiske

 

Manhawka

 

Bartle Comes to St. Joseph

 

Mic-O-Say Begins

 

Time of Transition

 

Major Restructuring

 

A New Camp

 

Finley Fiske Arrives

 

The Era of Swift Spear & Swimming Rock

 

Mic-O-Say Continues

 

The Pack Rock Years

 

A New Era Walks Tall